So, in just a few short days, SUMMER SLAUGHTER 2011 kicks off and, to be honest, this is the first year of the tour that I’m pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing. How are you guys feeling about the lineup? Am I missing something? I think that previous installments just worked better. You had Summer Slaughter that was made up of solely extreme metal bands (for the most part) and Thrash N Burn which incorporated -core and other styles and that made for two excellent tour packages. This year, it feels like SS and TNB were combined to make way for All Stars Tour and I feel the lineup was served an injustice by this.
Let’s make our way through the tour:
- Within The Ruins – I honestly have never heard of this band until they were added to the tour. No hate here, just curiosity. Should I be listening to them?
- Powerglove – FUCK this band. Next!
- Fleshgod Apocalypse – Great young band. Definitely excited to see them. This is one of the bands on the bill that makes a lot of sense and is more traditional for the tour to choose.
- Oceano – I don’t think this band is that bad, but they just don’t make sense on the bill. This would’ve been a Thrash ‘N Burn band.
- As Blood Runs Black – See Oceano… except this band is really bad to boot.
- Dying Fetus – Legendary band that is a good fit for this bill. Really stoked to see them because I know what to expect — an awesome show!
- Six Feet Under – This one is interesting. First of all, I never expected this SFU to be billed above Oceano, ABRB or Dying Fetus. They aren’t nearly as active as these other bands so it’s really surprising to see them here. Point number 2 is that the band seems diminished these days from they were when Barnes first left Cannibal Corpse, however they’ve added some high profile new members and have a new record on the way. All in all, this is a wildcard that I’m happy to see!
- Darkest Hour – This band does not belong on Summer Slaughter… Definitely more of a Thrash N Burn band and completely off-brand for what SS was originally marketed and built-up as. Darkest Hour is NOT a bad band by any means, but they also don’t belong here.
- The Black Dahlia Murder – I personally have no interest in this band at all. I know a lot of people love them but I’ve never found anything to make me interested. This also comes across as more appropriate for Thrash N Burn.
So, there you have it, there are three bands that I’m actually excited to see. Compare this to years past when there were bands like NECROPHAGIST, DECAPITATED, CATTLE DECAPITATION, CEPHALIC CARNAGE, VADER, ABORTED, PSYCROPTIC, SUFFOCATION, ORIGIN and DECREPIT BIRTH (amongst many others) and I’m just all around not psyched on this tour. I hope that I’m pleasantly surprised but it doesn’t look so great to me.
Couple this together with the SLAUGHTER SURVIVORS tour that has been announced and I’m equally unimpressed. I really like RINGS OF SATURN and SCALE THE SUMMIT are also pretty cool, however, the rest of the bill is full of bands that I either a) don’t like or b) don’t listen to actively and, therefore, won’t make a judgement of.
So, tell me Metal Army, what do you guys think of the lineup this year? Is it worth attending? Are the bands I should give a second (or possibly first) chance to? Sound off!
If you want to attend this year’s Summer Slaughter Tour, check out the dates below!
07/22 Los Angeles, CA – House Of Blues
07/23 Anaheim, CA – The Grove
07/25 Portland, OR – Roseland Theatre
07/26 Seattle, WA – King Cat Theatre
07/27 Boise, ID – The Knitting Factory
07/28 Sacramento, CA – Ace Of Spades
07/29 San Francisco, CA – The Fillmore
07/30 San Diego, CA – House Of Blues
07/31 Scottsdale, AZ – The Venue Scottsdale
08/01 Albuquerque, NM – Sunshine Theatre
08/02 Denver, CO – Summit Music Hall
08/03 Wichita, KS – The Cotillion
08/04 Louisville, KY – Expo Five
08/05 Detroit, MI – St. Andrews
08/06 Milwaukee, WI – The Rave
08/07 Cleveland, OH – House Of Blues
08/08 Chicago, IL – House Of Blues
08/09 Toronto, ON – Sound Academy
08/10 Montreal, QC – Olympia
08/11 New York, NY – Irving Plaza
08/12 Worcester, MA – The Palladium
08/13 Philadelphia, PA – Theatre Of Living Arts
08/14 Sayreville, NJ – Starland Ballroom
08/15 Washington, DC – 9:30 Club
08/16 Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade
08/17 Ft. Lauderdale, FL – Revolution
08/19 Houston, TX – House Of Blues
08/20 San Antonio, TX – Backstage Live
08/21 Dallas, TX – House Of Blues