MAYAN are one of those bands. They’re a supergroup of sorts featuring members of EPICA and AFTER FOREVER, so they have a lot of hype in the European metal community. They made a good, but not great, record that was recently released by Nuclear Blast. They blur the lines between power metal and death metal. Basically, they are right on the edge of either being a band I like a lot or don’t care about at all. It could go either way, really.
However, they released a new video today that absolutely stunned me. It’s for the track “War on Terror” off their new record, ‘Quarterpast’, and it’s pretty crazy. Here’s the breakdown:
- Band playing in the desert.
- US soldiers are patrolling the desert, apparently in the middle east.
- Soldiers stop a van with an Arabic driver, search the van and find a family in the back.
- Soldiers remove the family and line them up on the ground.
- One soldier notices a pretty woman and takes her while the other soldiers keep the husband at bay with their machine guns.
- The soldier rapes the woman against the van!!!
- The husband charges past the soldiers to the soldier and is shot and killed!!!
- Soldiers call in air strike, shoot MAYAN with a missile!
Wow…. That’s probably the most controversial video I’ve seen all year. Have as much hate for the US military as you want, but putting a sexual assault and murder in your video like this seems like a little far of a leap to make. Now, they apparently did the right thing because we’re talking about them on the site today, but MAYAN really took a leap of fate there. I will say that the video is well-produced and the song is pretty good, however that video is enough to turn a lot of people off.
My thoughts are that, while no country flags are shown, this is most certainly about the US army because we are the only face of the war in the Middle East that are often demonized. Also, it’s fine if you don’t like what the US military is doing in the middle east. I don’t like it either. However, the generalizations of our armed forces here are a little too much for me. Just because there are some lunatics in the military who do dumb shit, doesn’t make our whole army a bunch of rapists or co-conspirators. The whole thing: the war itself, the drama surrounding it and the demonization of our military just seems completely misguided and incorrect.
However, we won’t turn this whole thing into a political debate. The fact is, MAYAN made an extremely controversial video and they did a good job. However, I definitely feel like this video will alienate some people so I guess we’ll see how it plays out!
Check it out below and weigh-in on what you think of the MAYAN video!